Rooibos is a 100% naturally caffeine free tea from South Africa. Loaded with more antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals than green tea, rooibos has quickly become one of the healthiest beverages in the world. Rooibos teas have very low level of tannin – a substance that affects the body's metabolism by lessening its ability to absorb iron and protein.
Rooibos, sometimes referred to as red tea, develops its red color through processing and drying. This tea is chopped, bruised to release enzymes, and fermented. It is then left to dry in the sun - which is when the color of the leaves fully change from green to red.
Medical science has only begun to scratch the surface of the health advantages that rooibos has to offer. A few benefits of rooibos include:
- Rooibos is completely pure and natural; it contains no additives, preservatives, or colorants.
- Rooibos is 100% naturally caffeine free.
- Rooibos contains powerful antioxidants that fight free radicals in the body.
- Rooibos can be strongly recommended for people suffering with irritability, headaches, disturbed sleeping patterns, insomnia, nervous tension, mild depression or hypertension, as it contains no caffeine and has a soothing effect on the central nervous system.
- Stomach and indigestive problems such as nausea, vomiting, heartburn, stomach ulcers and constipation can also be relieved by drinking caffeine free Rooibos.
- Rooibos has anti-spasmodic properties, and can be used to relieve stomach cramps and colic in infants.
- Rooibos benefits in the defense of allergies such as hayfever and asthma.
- Rooibos has a soothing effect on the skin, relieving itching and certain skin irritations such as eczema, rash and acne when directly applied to the affected area.
- Rooibos contains natural calorie free sweeteners, and is therefore a soothing drink for people on a calorie-restricted diet.
- Rooibos is low in harmful tannin and therefore does not have a negative effect on the absorption of iron in the body.
- Rooibos contains iron, potassium and copper - minerals that are essential for several metabolic functions.
- Rooibos also supplements the daily amounts of calcium, manganese and especially fluoride, needed for the development of strong teeth and bones.
- Rooibos contains zinc and alpha hydroxy acid, which promote a healthy skin.
- Rooibos contains magnesium - necessary for a healthy nervous system.
- As Rooibos contains no oxalic acid people suffering from kidney stones can consume it freely.
- Rooibos is an excellent thirst-quencher and is recommended for all athletes or outdoorists.
- Rooibos has a soothing effect on babies suffering from colic, stomach cramps and restlessness. It also helps with rash, relieving irritation when applied with every nappy change.
- Rooibos supplements the daily intake of calcium, manganese and fluoride needed by growing children for strong teeth and bones. Mothers can also benefit from drinking Rooibos. During pregnancy and breast-feeding, the natural iron levels become depleted. Rooibos aids in replenishing the body.
- Rooibos is low in tannin and does not have a negative effect on the absorption of iron. The lack of caffeine means a pregnant woman can drink Rooibos throughout the day without worsening some of pregnancy's biggest discomforts - nausea, heartburn and insomnia.